Last saturday I headed to Santa Cruz
with a meetup group to photograph the Natural Bridges, monarch
butterflies, UC Santa Cruz arboretum and Pigeon Point Lighthouse. It
was an ambitious day that started out overcast and ended up with a
no-show sunset.
I headed out to the field armed with my
tripod,
my
55-200 mm zoom, my 18-55
kit lens, the 35 mm prime, and a remote trigger.
It was about 9:30 a.m. when we arrived
at the Natural Bridges
State Park. While waiting on the group, I walked to the beach and
took a photo of the natural bridges. I must say that I was not very
sure about what to do since it was overcast (low light situation),
and I did not know whether I wanted to blur the water and or to
freeze the motion of the birds. I think I opted to freeze the birds,
since blurring the water would mean also getting the birds out of
focus.
I took the photo below on a tripod
and using the remote shutter release,
in aperture priority. Post-processing was minimal, but it
involved considerable cropping and also setting the white balance
to “flash” during raw
processing, since it seems to
best reproduce the colors that I was seeing. However minimal, this
processing brought up the contrast and the light much better than my
camera's jpeg compression. See below a comparison between the
camera's jpeg (above) and the picture processed from raw in Adobe
Photoshop Elements 9.0 (below).
![]() |
Nikon D3100
35 mm f/1.8G, ISO 400, f/10, 1/320
|
After the entire group gathered
together, we headed out to the Monarch Butterfly trail. The park's
Monarch Grove provides a temporary home for up to 100,000 Monarchs
from late fall into winter. The monarchs were there, but they were
flocking high above in the branches, a minimum of five feet up above
us. Only those with terrific zoom lenses were able to get a good
shot of them, my 55-200 mm zoom had absolutely no chance. Since I
knew my limits, I walked around a little and found a few other things
that were interesting, for example this tree root growing on pure
rock. There is always something impressive out there in nature, if
you only look.
![]() |
Nikon D3100
35 mm f/1.8G, ISO 200, f/20, 1/4
|
It must have been 11 a.m. when we
headed to the UC Santra Cruz's arboretum. The sun was up. There were
only a few plants flowering, particularly in the Australian garden
(it is spring now in the Southern Hemisphere). Since I know what my 55-200 mm zoom lens is able to get good shots of flowers when there is plenty
of sunlight, and as long as it is sitting on a tripod, I gave it a
chance. The photo below is one of my favorites, the flower of Banksia
sp., a Proteceae from Western
Australia.
![]() |
Nikon D3100
55.0-200.0 mm
f/4.0-5.6 at 122 mm, ISO 180, f/4.8, 1/25
|
We then followed to the Pigeon Point
Lighthouse between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. There the wind was
blowing very hard and the sun was on its way out in the horizon, it
must have been about 6:30 p.m. when we arrived. I had to change my
lens to the 18-55 mm to get the lighthouse since we were sort of
close to it.
The photo below is what I call a
Photoshop madness. I really did not get a very good photo of the
lighthouse. The sunset was a no-show, my tripod was not sturdy enough
for the wind, I did not get my settings right and I failed to walk
the distance to get a photo from farther away. After that, we were
ready to hit traffic to San Francisco and then back to the Central
Valley.




No comments:
Post a Comment