I like some kinds of street
photography. Though I cannot put what I like into words, I know what
I don't like: badly framed, blurred photos of people passing by with
their backs to the camera, or “candid” shots of people doing
mundane things or looking undignified in some way. I am also not fond
of candid photos of people living on the street. They are not there for our
entertainment.
Last weekened was time to visit my
child, who attends college in Oregon. We met in Portland and spent
the weekened there. Though it was not a photography-oriented
weekened, I did take my camera and took a few opportunities to use it
in town.
I needed to travel light and I knew
that Portland is often overcast, so I took my 35 mm prime and only
that lens. Though some might argue that it is not the best phocal
length for street photography, I like it just fine, particularly
because it is the only prime lens that I own. Since I did not take a
tripod, I knew I could operate with a shutter speed of 1/60 just
fine, and that I would go home with sharp images.
I really liked the shoe
store sign below. This was one of the instances when I missed having
a zoom lens, since I wanted to zoom in the shoe store sign and have
the rest of the busy stuff out of the frame. Trying to compensate for
the wide angle view and great sharpness across the frame, in addition
to busy stuff I did not want, I did a little post-processing, as
follows. Below is the original photo, processed from raw, orginal
size. It is 14,155 pixels.
![]() |
NIKON D3100
35 mm f/1.8, ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/200
|
First, I cropped the photo to get rid of
most of the sky, and the wire, which were not really doing anything.
I also sharpened it with Topaz. Second, I used Photoshop Element's
filter “old fashion photo” - “newspaper” to render it black and white with high contrast. This took care of some of the distracting
elements in the background and made the shoe pop up. This image is
7858 pixels, still large enough to print.
I love neon signs and have started a
collection of those. On the way out of a pizza place, I took the
chance to grab this photo. I let the camera handle it for me (I put
it in automatic). The photo below is enhanced with Topaz HDR II
filter:
![]() |
| NIKON D3100
35 mm f/1.8, ISO 400, f/4, 1/60
|
![]() |
| NIKON D3100
35 mm f/1.8, ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/80
|
Besides the city, we also went to the Washington Park, where we visited the Rose Test Garden and the Holocaust memorial. The lens was definitely not appropriate for flowers, but I did take a few pictures I like. The one below I am particularly fond of, it is me smelling a rose. My son had to take it since I had not carried a tripod. The original is a little over saturated and that was particularly visible on the roses. Having to desaturate the photo has given it a somewhat unreal climate, which I like. I also applied some vignette using Elements 9 to get rid of some of the background, which was not blurred because my focal length was short.
And lastly, a sculpture in the Holocaust Memorial, taken with a very wide aperture for shallow depth of field... It was further slightly softened using a Topaz filter.
![]() |
| NIKON D3100
35 mm f/1.8, ISO 400, f/5, 1/100
|
| NIKON D3100
35 mm f/1.8, ISO 100, f/2, 1/160
|





No comments:
Post a Comment