I
like to visit mundane places for photography. Think about it. It is
great to go to the Mono Lake, the Yosemite National Park, or near San
Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge to take a shot, but when you are there
and you feel pressed to stop and shoot from every postcard view,
you know that many people before you have already taken that photo,
and that probably there are much better photos of that place out
there on the internet.
This
weekend I joined a Meetup group to go explore and photograph a
virtually unheard of place by most photographers, Rush
Ranch.
I did not know what to expect. The day started out with clouds, and
on my way there a few drops feel from the sky. This is really unusual
around here in the middle of October, and I knew it was going to be a
lucky photography day.
The
ranch is about 2 miles south on CA-12 off I-80, and on the way to
Grizzly Island. CA-12 is narrow and wavy on that stretch.
The
ranch is small, and the central portion of it has a barn, some
animals, a small visitors' center, and an old farm equipment
graveyard, besides a blacksmith shop and a native plants' garden.
Beyond that, some trails on the grass, towards the rolling hills.
I
had only one lens with me, my 35mm prime. I figured that it would be
sufficient for most shots and that I could hand hold it in that overcast day without having to use a very fast shutter speed. I started out in the graveyard, where I took some shots
of an old Chevrolet. The one below includes the wind mill, and since
it was taken with a relatively small aperture (7.1), everything beyond
the car is a little out of focus, but still has enough detail. There
is a little lens distortion in the image, because I shot pointing the
camera up and was I using a wide angle lens.
The photo below was minimally processed from raw and then I applied Topaz' detail filter HDR I.
The photo below was minimally processed from raw and then I applied Topaz' detail filter HDR I.
![]() |
Nikon D3100
35.0 mm f/1.8, ISO 100 f/7.1. 1/320 sec
|
After
taking pictures around the graveyard we went on a short trail toward
a view and encountered some interesting characters … It has been
many years since I last saw an appaloosa horse. The two photos below have also been post-processed with Topaz filters.
![]() |
| Nikon D3100 35.0 mm f/1.8 ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/500 sec |
![]() |
| Nikon D3100 35.0 mm f/1.8 ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/500 sec |
I am generally satisfied with the results, and since this place is not too far from my house, I will make a point to go there more often.



No comments:
Post a Comment