Sunday, March 1, 2015

Birds

I have definitely converted to shooting raw, while trying to improve my pictures in such a way that all that processing will not be necessary.

The last few days I have been concentrating on shooting birds. This is because most pictures I take of them are so downright bad that I have become obsessed with getting it right. I have noticed a few things. First, when they are standing still, I have less problems. The two pictures below, taken at different days, I am pleased with.

The Great Heron was standing still by the Putah creek in the evening sun. I was able to start shooting from a distance and then approach slowly while zooming out. I aimed at the birds' eye and most of my shots came out clear and in focus.


The heron is particularly difficult to photograph, because it reflects a lot of light. I let the camera in the automatic but set the ISO to change when the shutter speed falls below 1/60. I did not use a tripod.  Though I am pleased with the bird, I would like to have a little more detail on the water. I am not sure it would be possible with the long lens. I was in full zoom. 

Nikon 3100 AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200 mm f4.0-5.6
ISO 400, 200 mm, f/5.6, 1/160

The Cormorant unfortunately was at the edge of the lake, which does not look very wild. The evening sun was on it. I chose this one picture to show because it shows the blurred ducks in the background. All of my shots came out crisp and clear though. In this picture I was working on shutter priority because I was shooting moving things and forgot to adjust the settings to a still animal.

Nikon 3100 AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200 mm f4.0-5.6
ISO 400 200 mm f/5.6 1/500
This last shot is another story. I was shooting from the car window, and the blue Heron below was not particularly cooperating. It was moving. I do not remember the settings I was using. Though it came out sharp, at least where the head and eye are concerned, the fine details of the photos above is missing. The focal length is similar to the white heron above, but the ISO is much lower and aperture much smaller.

Nikon 3100 AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200 mm f4.0-5.6
ISO 100 165 mm f/9 1.125
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment